Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzard

I can't believe this winter. We have had a snow or ice storm every week since we got back on the Dec. 26th. That first storm was pretty crazy since we drove through the whole thing from Charleston, SC to Spotswood, NJ. I think that Josh was white knuckeling it for 700 miles. It was slow going. We counted about 35 cars that had spun off of the road and 4 wrecks. I kept on thinking that we should stop and get a hotel but Josh persisted. I really thought that we were going to have to stay at a hotel when we got to NJ. They had the worst roads out of any state that we drove through. We later learned that the unions decided to do a bad job on purpose. What is wrong with these people?
My eyes really got big when we got off of the NJ turnpike and onto the the roads less traveled. Places that I had been several times before even our neighborhood were unrecognizable because of the amount of snow that blanketed everything. I'm glad that we had GPS. The snow finnally won when we arrived at our house. We were fotunate to break the bank of snow onto our street but when we got to our house we were stopped.
The snow level that is seen in this picture is up to my car door window. If you look closely you can see Josh's foot prints going up the driveway.
It was 1:00am, I'm pregnant, the boys are asleep in the backseat, and we just have little over 50ft between us and our house. Before I could ask Josh what we should do he was bounding up the driveway in over two feet of snow. He opened the garage door, grabbed the snow shovel and started to make a path to the car. A few moments later another figure showed up and started to help Josh shovel the snow enough to get our car in. It was our neighbor Romero 22yr. old marine that was home for Christmas. One of the best highlights to our vacation happened at the last 50ft on our trip home.

1 comment:

Katri said...

Yay for helpful neighbors!