Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Snow day x a lot = fun times

When I think of February 2014 I'm going to think of white, washed out, piled high, bitter cold: Snow!  We have had one snow storm after another and in between super cold.  It has kept piling up.  So this winter I'm grateful for warm clothes, boots, generators, heated floors, and the list goes on.  We haven't had a regular week of school since before the new year and it is March 8th as I write this.  So what have we done during all of this snow storm time?  We have shoveled, dug tunnels, made forts, snowball fought, made a snow man during one of the later storms since the snow was wet enough, made lots of cookies, and drank plenty of hot chocolate, ate lots of warm soup and plain ol' just had a good time.  I personally enjoyed the excuse to make cookies with my boys then snuggle and watch movies.  

This winter has been one of the worst that a lot of people can remember.  However having snow on the ground for months at a time is the way that I pictured NJ to be like in the winter.  To be honest I've been disappointed in the last winters that we have experienced.  So finally a year that lives up to my expectations.  When I hear people complain about the snow or the weather I am reminded of the poem and I heard Elder Bednar say when I was a little girl and it has stuck with me ever since.

"Man is a fool
when it's hot he wants it cool
when it's cool he wants it hot
always wanting what it's not
never wanting what he's got....."

That poem is a reminder to me that I need to soak in each day for what it is, and enjoy it  I thank my God for the extremes that we get to feel because "feeling" truly is a gift.

No comments: