Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patrick's Day with Grandad (Pictures to come)

I got a text at the end of the week from my dad asking if he could come to FHE on the following Monday night!  I was so thrilled that I could barely think of anything else the whole weekend.  It was a good thing that I was attending the annual "Scrap House Party" Friday and Saturday all day and all night and then all day.  It was a blast and I have never in my life won so many prizes and had so much fun scraping.  I'm so grateful for the chance that I had to get away for over night. 

Grandad arrived in time to give the boys snuggles and tuck them into bed.  Zach had his outfit for St. Patrick's Day all picked out; beardo with leprechaun hat, and green shirt.  Zach's excitement for this holiday always fuels me for doing something special.  This year as in the past our leprechaun left streamers all over the place and little goodies in the boy's shoes.  It was fun for the boys to make their way down stairs through the maze work of green streamers and be welcomed with special green pancakes and of course Grandad.  Like past years we had a hunt for Leprechaun gold but this year was different because the leprechaun's gold was disguised as green rocks (baking soda) and we had to wash them off in magic water (vinegar).  They droped their rocks into the "water" and green fizz was over flowing the bowl.  It was a fun day but having Grandad here to celebrate with us made it our best St. Patrick's day yet.  I made a special dinner too the green being the theme color.  Zach professed to love it but only ate the shrimp.  I think that he just love that it as green and therefore was cool.  At least the adults liked it. 

I do all of these little things and mke these special efforts and I ask my self "why"?  My answer is because I only have a limited amount of time with my children and I want to celebrate each moment that I have with them.  I hope that I create memories that they feel my love for them, so that when they look back on their childhood they will have memories of us enjoying everyday and making the most of our time.  Also simply I love the look on their faces.  I've noticed that Adam is totally on to the game of pretend but he plays along.  I wonder if I will keep up traditions even when they have grown?  Who doesn't like to get goodies in their shoes and green pancakes?  I think some of these traditions are here to stay. 

No comments: