Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas is a Come'in



I feel like the Christmas season snuck up on me this year. I have felt like I've been running behind the holiday rush. With is staying here for Christmas and Grandma and Grandpa coming here I felt like we could really enjoy the decorations and other traditions. We kicked off the festivities with a Santa Clause visit. No tears this year and we even got a good picture. When I asked the boys what they wanted for Christmas they told me that they both wanted the clawzord and spiderman web shooter and Zach added a puppy. (well, I told them that a puppy couldn't happen) We had a good time and even got to write the troops a Christmas card.

One of my favorite traditions is getting out the Christmas tree decorations. I love doing it as a family and I love seeing each ornament and remembering the special meaning each one holds. I feel like when the tree is up then Christmas celebrations can begin.

For a special treat I took the boys to the clay pot to make some ornaments with some friends. What they picked out really speaks for them. Adam loves candy canes and red so he painted a red candy cane and Zachary loves anything that is green and space so what better than a Christmas tree with a big star on top.

To help us remember that Christmas is the season of giving we ran a 5K as a family and the entry fee is a unwrapped new toy. Adam saw that one of the toys that we were giving was the clawzord the toy that he most desired. It didn't leave his hands with out some tears. We explained what we were doing and that there are more clawzords out there. He calmed down. We figured that this most defiantly made this even memorable. Andrew looked adorable in his snow suit and hat. I had lots of people taking pictures and even video of our little guy. We had a really good time as a family and I think that we will make this a new family tradition.


What is Christmas with out sugar cookies?! Adam and Zachary had been asking to make some so we got our aprons on and got to work. Our cookies turned out pretty good. Adam and Zach were really proud of them and every time they finished decorating a cookie its picture was taken before they ate it. I absolutely love spending time with those guys.

Another tradition that I had growing up was getting a new Sunday dress for Christmas and my family is the same. I got the boys some new Sunday clothes and I just couldn't pass on those hats. My boys looked so dapper and they loved putting them on.

The most boring Christmas party non-kid friendly event of all time. First of all it starts 7:00pm Sunday night. So not only is it a school night but also we just got home for church at 4:30. So all my kids want to do is to run around with friends and eat some yummy cookies that are on display. they have the kids dress up which only makes them think that they are going to have some part in this program. Instead they have the seminary kids read for a scripture script and sing a hymn after each of the 13 readers. After that was over they played a 20+min video and then a closing speaker. All the while my kids are looking at the cookies and asking to have some. I couldn't torture them any longer during the video (8:00) we grabbed some cookies and came home. I hope that doesn't become a Christmas tradition.

No comments: